There are many entrepreneurs who are eager to develop an elearning course for their current and future employees, to enhance overall work productivity. Getting to know about the different strategies in the creation process can help them to avoid the common pitfalls which occur frequently.
Steps to follow when creating elearning course
- Define elearning course scope and objectives: Since the course is expected to grow with time, its scope should also be enhanced. It needs to be kept simple and expansion allowed after deploying the initial course version. Second version is sure to need additional functionality which will be based upon user feedback and input. Content also needs to be used as per feedback received.
- Define business need/case: This aspect should be carried out upfront. By having well defined and clear business need/case for the project is crucial for phases. The document can help for reference purpose and ideas developed can be used in deployment letter. It will reinforce the course value among target audience.
- Locate business sponsors: It is regarded by the experts to be a wonderful political and financial resource during testing, development and deployment phases. It will be useful to get business sponsors from various functional areas since cross organizational interactions is likely to take place which can be efficiently smoothed out through proper business sponsor mix on board.
- Locate team members and recruit them to participate in course development: Identifying the project leader to assign the project prior to its initiation is of utmost importance. It is necessary to locate the person who will be in charge and the primary contact between the company and elearning vendor. What elearning creation tools are to be used for the project and who will monitor them. Employees having technical knowledge can provide assigned with technical aspects of the project, pertaining to hardware and software standards.
- Select the best elearning vendor: This particular aspect should not be neglected or compromised with for low rates. The elearning vendor needs to be the very best in the domain and be ready to accept all challenges and come up with the much necessary and desired results! A wise decision to hire one will help the project to achieve quick and sure success.
- Develop elearning course: Several interactions are involved between the elearning vendor and the customer. The elearning vendor is not to dictate the process. However, vendor needs to be flexible to meet all elearning needs of the business. Regular interaction is a must between the vendor and the client for greater success.
- Test the course accords different deployment sites: Extensive Beta testing needs to be carried out before deploying the course. The testing needs is likely to change, which will depend upon the platform/program/media used. Prototype testing or Beta testing during development stage will require replication of final deployment conditions of target audience. It associates with issues pertaining to security/firewalls, rights management, software configuration, net access, server bandwidths, etc.
The final step will be to deploy, carry out follow-ups and determine the additional contents to be incorporated into the course to make it more worthwhile. With proper elearning content authoring, the result can be more than satisfactory.